Southwest Creations Collaborative
Hacia la Universidad in APS Facilitator
Southwest Creations Collaborative’s (SCC) Hacia la Universidad in APS Facilitator is a part-time (20 hour per week) position responsible for facilitating college readiness and family engagement workshops for students and families, supporting the college readiness goals in three schools, and coordinating logistics for family participation in the program. The HU in APS Facilitator supports the work of the Hacia la Universidad Manager and reports directly to the SCC Program Director.
OVERVIEW OF SOUTHWEST CREATIONS COLLABORATIVE
Southwest Creations Collaborative is a 19-year-old, 501c3, social enterprise whose mission is to alleviate poverty and build economic opportunity across generations. SCC’s employees are predominately Spanish-speaking Latina women from low-income communities in Albuquerque who face major barriers to economic success for themselves and their children. In addition to providing living wage employment and on-site childcare for 25¢ an hour, SCC also has a commitment to promoting educational attainment for youth and adults, building employable skills, and leadership development. Through our adult education programs, SCC provides opportunities for our employees to build skills in English acquisition as well as preparation for the GED and U.S. citizenship exams. Through our youth and parent engagement programs, SCC builds skills and provides opportunities for parents to engage in their children’s education, preparing them to succeed in the public school system and attend college.
DESRIPTION OF HACIA LA UNIVERSIDAD APS
The goal of Hacia la Universidad in APS is to improve academic achievement, high school graduation, and college attendance while developing sustainable healthy behaviors among Latino/Hispanic children and youth. It is based on SCC’s holistic, family-centered model that has achieved a 97% high school graduation rate and an 83% college attendance rate since 2004 by implementing proven strategies in family engagement, health access, and college readiness for working families. HU in APS is a partnership between SCC, the Albuquerque Public Schools, the UNM Department for Family and Community Medicine and the UNM Community Engagement Center. This partnership emerged from the training and technical assistance SCC has provided for APS district staff since 2011.
Implementation of HU in APS will happen over a four-year span, buttressing the College and Career Counselor and School-Based Health Center structures at Albuquerque High School, Washington Middle School, and Reginald Chavez Elementary School.
Candidates for the HU in APS facilitator position must possess:
- Strong facilitation and community outreach skills with knowledge and/or interest in popular education techniques
- Direct experience working in low income, Mexicano/ Hispano/Chicano, and/or immigrant communities
- Fluency in English and Spanish (written and spoken)
- Excellent communications skills, with experience in technical writing and public speaking
- The ability to perform program data collection
- Demonstrated interest in field of social enterprise and community development
- A Bachelor’s degree or 4+ experience in the UNM or CNM systems
- Schedule flexibility and the ability to work on Saturdays and evenings
- The ability to pass an APS background check
- The ability to lift 25 pounds
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Office
- A valid NM drivers license
SALARY AND BENEFITS
SCC is a proud equal opportunity, family-friendly employer that simultaneously promotes work-life balance and accountability to our community and mission. The salary for the HU in APS facilitator is competitive and based upon experience. Benefits include:
- Health insurance stipend
- 5 days of paid sick leave
- On-site childcare for $.25 per hour (based on availability)
Applications accepted through January, 2013. Interested parties should submit a one page cover letter, their resume, and a writing sample to SCC Program Director, Jessica Aranda at jessica @ southwestcreations.com
No phone inquiries, please.