Hacia la Universidad Coordinator
Southwest Creations Collaborative’s (SCC) Hacia la Universidad Coordinator is a full-time position responsible for:
· Facilitating, preparing and following up for college readiness and family engagement workshops
· Engaging families in college-bound success planning
· Linking families to existing academic, social, and health-related resources
· Managing family data for the purposes of case management and program evaluation
The HU Coordinator reports directly to the Hacia la Universidad Manager and will work closely with all members of the HU team.
COMMITMENT AND TRAINING PERIOD
The HU Coordinator position involves intense training and leadership development and the right candidate for this position will be able to make a 3 year commitment to SCC in exchange for the organization’s investment of time and resources into building her/his professional capacity. The duties and responsibilities of this position will evolve as the candidate’s skills evolve. Key skill building components include participation in the HU Facilitation Apprenticeship and shadowing SCC staff.
OVERVIEW OF SOUTHWEST CREATIONS COLLABORATIVE
Southwest Creations Collaborative is a 20-year-old, 501c3, social enterprise whose mission is to alleviate poverty and build economic opportunity across generations. SCC’s employees are predominately Spanish-speaking Latina women from low-income communities in Albuquerque who face major barriers to economic success for themselves and their children. In addition to providing living wage employment and on-site childcare for 25¢ an hour, SCC also has a commitment to promoting educational attainment for youth and adults, building employable skills, and leadership development. Through our adult education programs, SCC provides opportunities for our employees to build skills in English acquisition as well as preparation for the GED and U.S. citizenship exams. Through our youth and parent engagement programs, SCC builds skills and provides opportunities for parents to engage in their children’s education, preparing them to succeed in the public school system and attend college.
DESRIPTION OF HACIA LA UNIVERSIDAD APS
The goal of Hacia la Universidad in APS is to improve academic achievement, high school graduation, and college attendance while developing sustainable healthy behaviors among Latino/Hispanic children and youth. It is based on SCC’s holistic, family-centered model that has achieved a 98% high school graduation rate and an 86% college attendance rate since 2004 by implementing proven strategies in family engagement, health access, and college readiness for working families. HU in APS is a partnership between SCC and the Albuquerque Public Schools which emerged from the training and technical assistance SCC has provided for APS district staff since 2011.
Implementation of HU in APS will happen over a four-year span, buttressing the College and Career Counselor and School-Based Health Center structures at Albuquerque High School, Washington Middle School, and Reginald Chavez Elementary School.
Candidates for the HU in APS facilitator position must possess:
· Strong facilitation and community outreach skills with knowledge and/or interest in popular education techniques
· Demonstrated interest in field of social enterprise and community development
· Direct experience working in low income, Mexicano/ Hispano/Chicano, and/or immigrant communities
· Fluency in English and Spanish (written and spoken)
· Excellent communications skills, with experience in public speaking and report preparation
· The ability to manage program data
· A Bachelor’s degree and experience in the UNM or CNM systems
· Personal or professional experience in the Albuquerque Public School system preferred
· Schedule flexibility and the ability to work on Saturdays and evenings
· The ability to make a 3 year commitment to the organization
· The ability to pass an APS background check
· The ability to lift 25 pounds
· Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Office
· A valid NM driver’s license and reliable transportation
SALARY AND BENEFITS
SCC is a proud equal opportunity, family-friendly employer that simultaneously promotes work-life balance and accountability to our community and mission. The salary for the HU Coordinator is competitive and based upon experience. Benefits include:
- · 10 days of paid personal leave
- · 5 days of paid sick leave
- · 5 paid holidays
- · Health insurance stipend
- · On-site childcare for $.25 per hour (based on availability)
Applications accepted through January 31, 2014. No phone inquiries, please.
Interested candidates should submit:
- · A one page cover letter
- · A resume
- · A mock letter addressed to Hacia la Universidad families in which the candidate introduces herself/himself. The letter should be in English and Spanish and no more than 2 pages.
All materials should be submitted to SCC Program Director, Jessica Aranda:
jessica [at] southwestcreations.com
Qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
The position is estimated to begin in February or March of 2014.